- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 50 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 rounded tablespoon powdered gelatine
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 egg whites
- coffe beans or chocolate sprinkles to decorate
1. Dissolve the coffee and caster sugar in the boiling water.
2. Sprinkle the gelatine over the cold water in a small heatproof bowl and leave to soak for 5 minutes, then stand the bowl in a pan of gently simmering water for 1 – 2 minutes until the gelatine has completely dissolved, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the coffee into the gelatine liquid, stirring well to mix. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave the coffee mixture until tepid.
4 Meanwhile, whip the cream until standing in soft peaks. Just before the coffee mixture is ready, whisk the egg whites until stiff in a clean, dry bowl and using clean beaters.
5. Using a large metal spoon, quickly blend the coffee mixture into the cream, then fold in the egg whites. Divide the mixture equally between 6 small dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours, until set.
6. Just before serving, decorate each mousse with coffee beans or chocolatesprinkle.